Report released…sort ofLeave a comment
September 3, 2011 by realrenewal
Sept. 3, 2011 – Regina Public will table a review of the 10 Year Plan on Tuesday, Sept. 6 at 7:00 p.m. It will include recommendations on the next round of school closures, to be voted on at the next board meeting, Sept. 20. The board didn’t put the notice on their website until late Friday before a long weekend and, contrary to recently established practice, the review document wasn’t posted with the board info package. It’s unlikely many people know about it or are prepared to respond in a tight time frame (in contrast, the 2009 review provided 36 days).
If RealRenewal is going to make a presentation, this might be a good opportunity to comment on the process by which the board invites (or dis-invites) public input into its decisions, including school closure reviews.
Many people tell us they are dissatisfied with the way consultation meetings are run, and with the lack of reliable background information. Now is a good time to suggest policy changes. Things to think about:
1. What information is needed for an informed discussion?
2. How should public meetings be advertised?
3. If a review committee were formed that included members of the public, like in rural school divisions, who should be represented?
4. What status should public input have in decision-making?
5. Should there be an appeals process? How would it work?
Please email RealRenewal your thoughts and ideas ASAP.