June 9, 2018 by realrenewal
Minutes of the Special Electors Meeting, held Feb. 28, 2018, have been posted online. The meeting was called by electors’ petition, after the Regina Board of Education cancelled its annual meeting.
If you are a Regina Public voter, ask your trustee how they are following up on the motions that were passed by the electors. Electors called on their representatives to:
- Recognize the legal and Charter rights of intensive needs students, and make equal access to education a top priority in budget decisions.
- Rename Davin School and place a plaque in front of the school explaining why.
- Provide annual education sessions for School Community Council members on Indigenous history, the Treaties, the impact of residential schools and ongoing racism, and honour SCC requests for community reconciliation meetings.
- Inform the provincial government that Regina Public Schools wants peace education introduced into the curriculum.
- Adopt a Respect for Human Diversity Policy to ensure an inclusive learning environment for all students.
- Advocate for the restoration of voters’ rights under the Education Act, directly to the province and through the Saskatchewan School Boards Association.
- Advocate for improved traffic calming measures around schools.