January 21, 2019 by realrenewal
After a successful citizen-called AGM last year, the Regina Board of Education has returned to the practice of holding an Annual Meeting. It will be held in conjunction with a Community Engagement Forum.
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. at the Regina Public School Division Office (1600 4th Avenue)
This is an opportunity to both take part in general engagement discussion as well as hear and comment on the business of the report, and ask questions of its trustees. Please take advantage of this opportunity. Local democracy matters!
Last year’s meeting was called by electors’ petition, after the Regina Board of Education cancelled its annual meeting.
These are the issues that were voted on and passed. Hopefully the trustees will be able to report progress on them.
- Recognize the legal and Charter rights of intensive needs students, and make equal access to education a top priority in budget decisions.
- Rename Davin School and place a plaque in front of the school explaining why.
- Provide annual education sessions for School Community Council members on Indigenous history, the Treaties, the impact of residential schools and ongoing racism, and honour SCC requests for community reconciliation meetings.
- Inform the provincial government that Regina Public Schools wants peace education introduced into the curriculum.
- Adopt a Respect for Human Diversity Policy to ensure an inclusive learning environment for all students.
- Advocate for the restoration of voters’ rights under the Education Act, directly to the province and through the Saskatchewan School Boards Association.
- Advocate for improved traffic calming measures around schools.